[none]

Phlip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Oct 30 10:33:30 PST 1998

,Function Ò,Ó returned error condition Ò,Ó
To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG
Subject: Re: SC - Vegetable Names

Karen wrote:

> With all the recipes I have seen that reference currants, and having
> picked my share of ripe currants in late summer, I remain confused as
> to why these berries are refused as a possible food source??
> Especially in places that didn't necessarily have their own grape
> vines to make raisins from??  How far off-track am I?
>
> Tyrca

I wouldn't call it off-track. Probably the biggest reason for believing
references are to grape-y currants rather than black/red currants is
that raisins of courance/corinth/etc. is almost invariably specified,
and while Corinth was known in period for growing grapes, it has, and
SFAIK had, no reputation for growing currant berries. Also, most dried
fruit is (or was) sun-dried, and the parts of Northern Europe where
currants (berries) grow aren't especially suited for that kind of processing.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --
Phil & Susan Troy