SC - wierd food / girl scouts

Charles McCathieNevile charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au
Thu Oct 1 19:36:11 PDT 1998

I would have thought Girl Scouts were one of the harder groups to upset
foodwise (short of deliberately attempting to gross them out). And I
would have to include SCAdians in that.

Actually my own policy is pretty simple. If it was palatable then it
probably still is. (So far, so good.) So if people can't find anything
they're prepared to eat in a feast (and most people can t least come at a
few of roast meats, cheese, fish, bread, and various vegies not
altogether unlike modern food) then they should not bother coming to
feasts. There is a diffference between people who have dietary
restrictions and cannot eat certain foods and people who just won't try
anything that looks different. I am happy to try and accommodate the
former, the latter should go to McChuck's for dinner instead.

But having said that, it is amazing how certain things can come out at a
feast and be ignored becuase they look or sound odd, and within two or
three feasts they are being cleared away, because a few people tried it,
and next time said to a few people 'you must try this' and so on.

My big surprise is leeks - cut into straws (more or less) and cooked in
wine and salt. People seem to be able to consume infinite quantities of
them, but when I first made them I thought people might try them once,
and a few people might like them.

After all, isn't the whole point about learning something new about
ourselves and other people?

Charles Ragnar