SC - Ideas for Girl Scout Demo feast?

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Thu Oct 1 22:17:48 PDT 1998

We are asked for menu ideas for a bunch of Girl Scouts. I suggest the
following:

yrchouns (those little sausage gizmos that are made in the shape of little
hedgehogs. Just the thing for kids!)
ruzzige cake (bread, slathered with cheese and herbs, and garnished with
real flowers)
stuffed eggs (tastes almost exactly like devilled eggs, without the OOP
paprika)
One of the many sweet and sour chicken dishes (egredouce or cinnamon-orange
sauce on roasted bits)
roast beast and mustard and/or horseradish on the side
a compound salat, full of fun things
marchpanes, ie sugar cookies garnished with marzipan bits. Have the girls
help decorate.
pear puddings (little meatballs shaped like pears)
pippin puddings (apples stuffed with bread and spice, baked in cream)
"ypocras", ie spiced grape juice served in wine glasses, la de dah!
mushrooms, either stewed or pickled or both
bread, especially if you can get "trenchers" for them to use

anyway, here's just a few ideas. I believe all these recipes are available
in the Florilegions :).
good luck! I love doing food demos for kids...they have far fewer
misconceptions than their grownup counterparts, and are often far more
adventurous!
- --Anne-Marie

- ----------
> From: Diamond <nordgate at worldnet.att.net>
> To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG
> Subject: Re: SC - Ideas for Girl Scout Demo feast?
> Date: Thursday, October 01, 1998 9:40 PM
>
> Beef or pork pies
> Arabella
>
> ----------
> > From: Ann & Les Shelton <sheltons at conterra.com>
> > To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG
> > Subject: SC - Ideas for Girl Scout Demo feast?
> > Date: Thursday, October 01, 1998 9:04 PM
> >
> > Our Canton uses our local Girl Scout campground for hosting most of our
> > events.  We've always had an excellent working relationship with them
> > and we'd like that to continue.
> >
> > They have scheduled a "Medieval" Core Camp for the 3rd weekend of
> > October and we will be doing an all-day demo on Saturday for them.
> > Today, they asked if we would be willing to serve them a period meal
and
> > we agreed to {they're paying all expenses!}.  I will be the head cook.
> > The kitchen is excellent, so there aren't any significant constraints
on
> > what we can do.
> >
> > Now, I need to come up with a menu.  I've done several Children's
Feasts
> > in the past as part of a normal SCA event, usually something like
> > roasted chicken, rice, salad, etc.  However, this feast needs to be
more
> > representative of what us grown-ups eat at events, without being too
> > "weird" for their palates.
> >
> > There will be approximately 155 girl scouts {ages 6-12} and leaders,
> > plus about 20 SCAdians to feed.  I've got some ideas already and I'll
be
> > happy to continue posting this as a work in progress.  However, I'm
> > looking for suggestions.  Any ideas are encouraged/begged for!
> >
> > John le Burguillun
> > Canton of Cyddlain Downs {Columbia, SC}
> > Barony of Nottinghill Coill {everything west of I-95}
> > Kingdom of Atlantia

SCA-Cooks".