SC - cous cous

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Fri Oct 2 08:27:56 PDT 1998

Hi from Anne-Marie
we are asked about cous cous in period. The following is a recipe from the
Andalusian collection in Cariadoc and Elizabeths collection of medieval
cookbooks (13th century? cant remember). By "moistened" I'm assuming they
mean the standard method of cooking, but there may be cous cous experts out
there who disagree :). The point is that the grain product was most
definately consumed at least by al Andalus within the proscribed time
period.

I've also included my reconstruction (such that it is! :)). Served with
pomegranite chicken, yum yum! We used veggie broth instead of the
proscribed mutton stew juice because we needed a vegetarian friendly dish
on this particular menu.

enjoy...
- --AM
PS...standard request applies...if you want to reprint/use this recipe,
please just ask for permission. I'm sure to give it, but I like to know
where my reserarch is being used. Thanks!

Soldier's Couscous (Kuskusu Fityani) (A55)
The usual moistened couscous is known by the whole world. The Fityani  is
the one where the meat is cooked with its vegetables, as is usual, and when
it is done, take out the meat and the vegetables from the pot and put them
to one side; strain the bones and rest from the broth and return the pot to
the fire; when it has boiled, put in the couscous cooked and rubbed with
fat and leave it for a little on a reduced fire or the hearthstone until it
takes in the proper amount of the sauce; then throw it on a platter and
level it, put on top if it the cooked meat and vegetables, sprinkle it with
cinnamon and serve it. This is called Fityani  in Marrakesh.

Soldier's Cous cous
2 c. cous cous
1 can veggie broth + 1 canful water
4 T. butter
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 t. salt

In a large pot with a good lid, bring the broth and water to a boil. Stir
in the cous cous, and clap on the lid. Let sit off the heat until all the
water is absorbed. Stir in the butter and sprinkle heavily with cinnamon.
Fluff with a fork to keep from being gloppy. Serves 6-8 generously.