Haggis and lamb tummies was Re: SC - More lamb

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Sun Oct 4 08:47:58 PDT 1998

Hi from Anne-Marie, resident ex-farmgirl and ruminent breeder :)
Phlip asks:
> > . I would appreciate recipes for blood sausage and black pudding,
> > possibly a haggis, if someone can specify WHICH stomach, and any other
> > parts not mentioned.

any "ethnic" scottish cookbook will have a recipe for such things, as well
as Robert May, etc if you want a period source.

Now that you mention it, I dont think any of the sources I've looked at
ever actually mention which part of the digestive tract, other than to say
"stomach" (or some other equally unhelpful word). Now, as for which
stomach, actually, technically, I'm betting they want the rumen, the big
empty bit, which actually, technically isnt part of the stomach at all, but
is a pouch off the esophagus. You got your rumen, your omassum and your
reticulum, see, and then you got your abomasum, which actually the stomach
bit. Dont mind me...I did a 4H demonstration on this when I was 12 :).
Each bit does something different, see, and the rumen is the biggest and
hollowest, so that's why I'm thinking its the "sheeps maw"  or "paunch"
mentioned in the sources.

As for other bits, they mention the liver and heart (self explanitory), the
lights (lungs), and one of my books specifies the tongue as well.

hope this helps some,
- --Anne-Marie d'Ailleurs
mka Anne-Marie Rousseau
Madrone/An Tir