SC - Wedding feast-longish

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Oct 4 20:05:42 PDT 1998

Lord Ras said:

>...and salads were often identical to those we still make today.

Ras, I think this is too broad of a brush to use, although it may
be true for a minority of salads served today.

>From what we've discussed here, medieval salads were often similar,
at least in concept to modern salads however there appear to be
a significantly broader range of greens and herbs in medieval salads and
a significant lack of the modern iceburg lettuce. I've found that
the vast majority of salads I've been served mundanely include
iceburg lettuce.

Modern salads often include tomatos, too.

I'd rather be served some of the medieval salads than most of what
I've gotten today.

It also may be that Ras eats in higher class resturants than me
and the salads are different.

For those interested in some interesting comments and salad recipes
given on this list previously, take a look at this file:

salads-msg        (81K)  8/ 4/98    Period salads. lettuce, greens.

Lord Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net