SC - hash(OT)

needlwitch@msn.com needlewitch at email.msn.com
Mon Oct 5 02:07:15 PDT 1998

- -----Original Message-----
From: LYN M PARKINSON <allilyn at juno.com>
To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG <sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG>
Date: Sunday, October 04, 1998 8:07 AM
Subject: Re: SC - hash

>Thorbjorn writes of pork and apple hash--
>
>>>(was supposed to be Lamb, but I got creative), was great over rice.
>Thorbjorn the Cook (looking at his apples and wondering if there is any
>more pork in the freeze>>
>

>There's pork in my freezer, and apples, and apple cider verjuice to cook
>them in.  Sounds better than the lamb.  And with those eggs, I could make
>spaetzle instead of rice...
>
>Why do we ask for recipies when we ALL get creative?  ;-)
>
>Was this a period dish, Thorbjorn?  Sounds sort of familiar...  Good
>lunch or camp dish, too.

Not that I know of (the periodness). I got it out of Kafka's book
"Roasting". She said it was based on the french word "hacher-to cut up". It
was basicly onions, pork, apples, and various spices (Cumin, Cinnamon,
Thyme, Rosemary, Nutmeg, Salt, and Pepper) sauted then roasted together to
give them a nice carmelized flavour. If I do it again, I will probably use a
nice apple brandy instead of the chicken stock it calls for. Though the
apple verjuice sounds interesting, too.

Thorbjorn the Cook
Shittemwoode/Antir
{Northwest Washington}