SC - potatoes

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Tue Oct 6 04:13:47 PDT 1998

At 10:16 PM -0400 10/5/98, LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> This is true. We might also consider the fact that potatoes were
> forced upon the Irish as a sort of substandard food fit only for
> peasants. This occured with the Africans and peanuts, turnips in
> Germany and other European contries, > etc.

The impression I've got from what I've read is that the Irish was forced
by circumstances (small plots of sub-standard land, the rest went to
cash-crops) to grow potatoes since they where the only (?) crop that
could support them. The true perrils of mono-culture showed up in the
mid 1800's.

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                                   parlei(at)algonet.se
Unfortunately, development was stopped on the production version of
[life], and we've been supporting and kluging the demo version for the
last 4 billion years.  -- Paul Tomblin