SC - Pomegranite Chicken

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Tue Oct 6 07:45:46 PDT 1998

Hi from Anne-Marie...
OK, lets try this again, without the "h" word. :)

And before anyone says anything more...the cous cous recipe I posted is a
very medievaloide version. I stand corrected. Thank you for keeping me
honest! That whole banquet was done long ago, and I've learned a lot since
then. I will now self-flagellate with a limp macrow...:)

now, as for this one...
I am desperately allergic to walnuts and so chose to use the benign almond
instead.
I've also changed the order of ingredients adding in my reconstruction to
more closely match the original.
I use pomegranite molasses, which contains sugar already cuz that's what I
could find, plus that way the sauce takes less time to cook down.
When I've seen the dish in modern Persian restaurants, they use walnuts and
its very soupy and greasy with chicken fat, though the recipe does not
appear to really specify that it has to be that way. Oh, and they do it
with whole pieces like chicken drumsticks. I chose to use boneless/skinless
bits for ease of cooking, serving and eating.
Now that I look at it again, I see that it actually could be interpreted as
making almond milk, like the Santich version. (take your nuts and boil a
while, while not specifying in what) cool!

anyway, enjoy...its tasty stuff. Oh, and standard disclaimers apply...if
you use it somewhere please cite me and let me know, blah blah blah.

Recipes from An Anonymous Andalusian Cookbook of the Thirteenth Century,
translated by Charles Perr (in A Collection of Medieval and Renaissance
Cookbooks. 6th Edition, ed. by Duke Cariadoc and Duchess Diana Alene,
privately published. Vol 1, 1991, Vol 2, 1993.)

Another Tabahajiyya (A37)
Cut the meat up small and fry with oil and salt, and when it is brown, cook
it until done with vinegar. Pound a handful of almonds or walnuts and throw
them on and boil a while. Take pomegranate juice and dissolve in it a lump
of sugar to get rid of its tartness, and sprinkle with cinnamon.

Pomegranite Chicken
6 chicken breasts, cut to gobbets
1-2 T olive oil to sautee
1/2 tsp salt to sprinkle on breasts
1/2 cup water
1 tsp cinnamon
2 T sugar
1/2 cup pomegranite molasses or syrup**
1/2 cup white wine or cider vinegar
6 T pounded almonds

Chunk and salt the chicken, brown in oil 'til almost done. Meanwhile, make
a sauce of the water, sugar and pomegranite syrup. Boil to blend. When the
chicken is almost totally cooked, dump in the vinegar. Then add the
almonds. Simmer a bit. Then add the sauce. Simmer till the sauce is thick,
about five minutes
on a hard boil. Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve on cous cous. Serves 6.

**If you canÕt find pomegranite syrup at a local middle eastern market, you
can use pomegranite juice, but youÕll need to add more sugar and omit the
water.