SC - salads (long)

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Tue Oct 6 20:43:16 PDT 1998

Hi all from Anne-Marie
we are told (by Stefan? I lost track in the he said/she saids...):
> However, my experience has been that 95 percent or greater of the salads
> I've had have iceburg lettuce in them. That alone, IMHO, disallows the
> idea that the modern salads and the medieval ones were "often" the same.

You know its funny. I think that muchly depends on where you're from and
how you were raised. Me, I was raised by a "bleeding heart liberal" mom in
the Santa Cruz mountains in the 60s-70s. I didnt eat salads with iceberg
lettuce until I went away to college (those farmworkers striking, et al).
We grew up on spinach salads and not till I was much older did I find out
that that wasnt the norm. Spinach and chard and beet greens and shredded
cabbage and onion and all that stuff. So to me, a "modern salad", ie one
like my mom made us IS the same as a medieval one.

Iceberg lettuce is the cheapest kind there is, so that's why most
restaurants will rely on it so heavily, though around here, lettuce is more
expensive than other kinds of greens, so you tend to get more romaine,
interesting greens, etc than other places, like the midwest.

Social and dietary anthorpology at its best, no? :)
- --AM
Madrone/ An Tir
Seattle/Wash