SC - leeks recipe

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Oct 7 03:37:47 PDT 1998

At 7:01 AM -0400 10/6/98, WOLFMOMSCA at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 98-10-06 04:06:32 EDT, Cariadoc writes:
>
><< Does _To The Kings Taste_ give either the original recipe or a cite to it?
> This sounds like something very loosely based on funges >>
>
>Yes, the original Funges recipe is given.  _To the King's Taste_ wasn't
>written for historical re-enactors.  It was written for modern cooks 23 years
>ago.  This does not, IMO, preclude it from being used as a basis for cooking
>in a medieval context.  Practice with the ingredients and the language will
>allow people to utilize this little book quite well.

If what was posted here is Lorna Sass's redaction of the Funges recipe I
know, then it will mislead beginners, since the worked out recipe is
strikingly different from the original and uses a technique that I don't
think exists in the cooking of the relevant period. And it may encourage
readers to invent their own modern recipes distantly related to a medieval
original and call them "medieval."

> As cooks get better at
>doing redactions themselves, the book becomes less of a cookbook and more of a
>cheat sheet.  Beginners find it useful, as I did when I started cooking for
>the SCA 22 years ago.  It was all we had back then.

22 years ago Volume I of my collection was in print, Two Fifteenth Century
Cookery Books was available, as were a number of other sources for real
medieval recipes.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/