SC - Sealing a Cauldron

Northon emrys at gte.net
Wed Oct 7 18:16:52 PDT 1998

Par Leijonhufvud wrote:

> Interesting. I've seen modern copies of these pots that have had the
> seams welded shut as well. Very interesting if this was the period
> method as well.
>
> /UlfR

Hate to burst a bubble here, but welding seams shut as in beads or
streamers of metal wasn't done until this century, I know, I'm a welder
in my other life.  If you're talking about placing one piece of red hot
metal on top of another piece of red hot metal then striking the pieces
until they "weld" together...well that's period, just talk to anyone
involved with blacksmithing.

YIS,
HL Tamsin de Lesseley of Seabeck, JdL
An Tir, The Barony of Madrone, The Canton of Wyewood
Auburn, Washington (about 17 miles due south of Seattle)