SC - Spice/Herb Grinders (was Rosemary Usage)

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Fri Oct 9 08:15:17 PDT 1998

Hi all from Anne-Marie

we are asked about spice grinders.

I use (as does Tony of WorldSpice) a Braun coffee mill that has never seen
coffee in its life. I use this for small batches of almonds for almond milk
too. I use a large natural bristle pastry brush to clean it by brushing out
the moving bits, etc VERY thoroughly immediately after use. Occasionally
I'll wash the lide with soapy water (like when I grinded chocolate in it
and it all melted, rats!)

The little braun mills have a good strong motor, and they're cheap enough
that when you finally kill it (mines been going strong for about five years
now, but TOny goes through one every couple months) you dont feel bad.

For nutmeg and cone sugar, I have a small cheese grater. For pepper, I have
a dedicated pepper mill (got a lovely german wood one from Tony), and for
grains I have a dedicated pepper mill (a cheap small plastic one, not from
Tony!). I also have a marble mortar and pestle, but hardly use that
anymore.

For smaller amounts of fresh herbs (or at a re-enactment event), I use a
very sharp knife and elbow grease. For large batches, I use my Cuisinart.

Hope this helps!
- --AM
Madrone/ An Tir
Seattle/WA