SC - meat days and fast days - MIXED?

Mary Morman memorman at oldcolo.com
Fri Oct 9 08:44:06 PDT 1998

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I've been reading some of the comments on meat-heavy feasts and adding
lenten day dishes to help the vegetarian crowd find appropriate grazing,
and I'm having a bit of a problem.

I, too, tend to make a number of vegetarian dishes when serving a feast,
but I do it with bad conscience.  My impression is that if food was being
served on a meat day - no attempt would be made to avoid meat, butter,
milk, and eggs.  If it were being served on a fast day, then EVERYTHING
would avoid one or more of those ingredients (depending on the degree of
the fast).  I just can't see period cooks -mixing- their feast day and
fast day dishes!

Other opinions?

elaina