SC - meat days and fast days - MIXED?

Mary Morman memorman at oldcolo.com
Fri Oct 9 09:50:42 PDT 1998

On Fri, 9 Oct 1998, Phil & Susan Troy wrote:

> Generally I'm inclined to agree, but then we cater to a different crowd from
> our period forebears. There are, I recall, period menus that include fish dish
> references for clerics and others who may be fasting or abstaining on a
> generally meat-type day. Chiquart speaks of the need to be accomodating to the
> guest cooks brought in by His Grace's guests who are on special diets of all
> sorts; I believe he mentions abstaining from meat on meat days, for whatever
> reason, as one such aberrant diet to be accomodated.
>
> Adamantius

wonderful reference, adam ant!  can you get me the quote?

i'll put it with my reference from the abbot at bury st. edmonds about
instructing the cook to cook and serve a regular meal with meat dishes and
sweets even though the abbot himself only ate fast day foods - this was an
act of charity so that the leftovers could go to the infirmary or to
others at the table, or to the beggars at the gate.

elaina