SC - murri info now carob/ dibs question repost

deborah kupcek chicagojo at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 9 13:57:26 PDT 1998

Well i  reread what i wrote and decided to repost  without so many
typos!(Bad zoe no cookies) Maybe it will be understandable.
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 19:03:01 -0700
From: "Deborah Schumacher" <chicagojo at rni.net>
Subject: RE: SC - murri inf onow carob/ dibs question
> Stefan quoted  Elizabeth of Dendermonde/Betty Cook as saying>
> >Any idea what *murri* is?>
> Real murri was an ingredient made by a long process of> fermentation;
it has
> evidently not been made since about the 14th or 15th century.  Think
of it
> as occupying the same position in medieval Islamic cuisine as soysauce
in
> modern Chinese--fermented, strongly flavored, salty flavoring liquid
where
> a lot is made at once, then you put a spoonful or two of it into half
the
> things you cook.  (Note that I am not saying it tastes like soy
sauce).
> There was also a period fake murri made from scorched honey, burnt
bread,
> quince, anise, fennel, carob (only period use for carob I've seen),
etc,
> etc., salt.  The recipe for this is in the Miscellany, and this is
what we
> use when recipes call for murri.  You make up a batch, then keep it in
the
> refrigerator for months, using it when you are doing medieval Islamic
> cooking.  One of my best-received feast dishes ever was lamb in a
marinade
> based on murri and honey (also in the Miscellany, one of the Tabahaya
> recipes).>> Elizabeth of Dendermonde/Betty Cook>
I really do have  a point in quoting  all this,  Last night  while
persuing my husbands old herb quarterlies I found  a great article on
carob.  Included a refrence that  Carob was used in the making of Dibs
kharrub.  I thought that dibs was  purely date syrup. ( What does dibs
translate to?) Well according to this article carob had a multitude of
uses in the  middle ages.. i think it's something i'll look into
starting with  trying to find the  sources used for that article !
( new and inproved with spellcheck!)
Zoe Valonin
Atenveldt
Atenveldt