SC - OT - Modern American Food Trends

James Gilly / Alasdair mac Iain alasdair.maciain at snet.net
Fri Oct 9 20:27:18 PDT 1998

At 21:51 8-10-98 -0700, Thorbjorn wrote:
>With out adventure in our eating, we would all be eating at, GAK, Denny's,
>and thinking it was the best food around.

I don't know - when I was in the Gulf this summer, I kept thinking how
wonderful an ultimate omelette would be....

My mum was from Florida, my dad from Iowa - raised back in the teens and
twenties, when this meant a real difference in their diets.  They lived in
Mexico City for a couple years during WWII (long story).  So I grew up
eating everything from grits to chili, not to mention Chinese, Italian, &c,
and am willing to try almost anything.  (Though there are a few things I'd
like to try, but would rather not know about it until after I'd eaten it,
if you know what I mean....)

Actually, in a way this has been bad for me.  Other folks would go through
the chow line on the ship (back when I was on the target), look at the two
options offered, say "That's disgusting," and walk away and lose weight.
I'd look at the same two options, say "Well, this is disgusting, but that's
only semi-disgusting, so I'll take that," and continue my struggle to
remain within weight standards. <sigh>

Alasdair mac Iain

Laird Alasdair mac Iain of Elderslie
Dun an Leomhain Bhig
Canton of Dragon's Aerie, Barony Beyond the Mountain
East Kingdom
Argent, a chevron cotised azure surmounted by a sword and in chief two
mullets sable