SC - Two recipes with Sauerkraut

Valoise Armstrong vjarmstrong at aristotle.net
Sat Oct 10 19:49:21 PDT 1998

Who was looking for sauerkraut recipes - was that Ras? Well I just got my
hands on a copy of Marx Rumpolts' Ein New Kochbook (1581), used up a ream
of paper to photocopy the thing. I haven't had a chance to really look at
it, but I flipped through the chapter on miscellaneous prepared dishes and
found two that call for sauerkraut. There may be others, but this is a huge
book and I don't really have time to read it right now. I've substituted
modern 's' forms for the old ones and German ones. Here they are.

111. Saur Kraut mit einer gesottenen hennen/unnd gerauchteren Speck/ist
auch nicht boss zu essen.

        Sauerkraut with a boiled hen and smoked bacon is also not bad to eat.

117. Gehackt saures Kraut ist auch nicht boss/wenns gesotten ist/ so macht
mans ab mit saurem Raum und Butter.

        Chopped sauerkraut is also not bad when it is boiled, so one
prepares it with sour cream and butter.

I know those are pretty short on detailed instructions, but they're the
first sauerkraut recipes that I've noticed.

Valoise