SC - Hazardous foods - was - SC: Great lords cooks

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Oct 11 10:31:29 PDT 1998

Brenna wrote:

> A gentle died at an SCA event once because he didn't know
> that a dish was fried in peanut oil and he was allergic to peanuts.  Always
> invite the guests to read the ingredients posted on the kitchen door (or a chair
> near an outside kitchen).

If we are thinking of the same incident (and I don't recall hearing of more
than one), it's my understanding the gentle began to eat a peanut-laced food
(I believe I heard at the time it was a chili thickened with peanut butter),
was repeatedly warned that it contained the peanuts to which he was allergic,
and assumed a calculated risk because the chili tasted so good: he ate another
large bowl of the stuff. Then he went into anaphylactic shock and died. The
reality probably lies somewhere in between the accounts Brenna and I heard,
respectively.

It's just interesting how different versions of the same story travel around.
I was also interested to hear that someone on this list (was it Aoife???)
actually stated her husband had come down with food poisoning at an event
(i.e. as a result of eating the feast). Now, this is something that,
mathematically, is bound to happen sooner or later, and must have happened
already, but I think this is the first time I've ever heard a flat statement
about food poisoning that didn't smack of "friend of a friend" or "urban
legend" status. And about time, too!

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --