SC - cous cous

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Oct 2 14:01:00 PDT 1998

In a message dated 10/2/98 11:42:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time, acrouss at gte.net
writes:

<< Soldier's Couscous (Kuskusu Fityani) (A55)
...<snip>....The Fityani  is the one where the meat is cooked with its
vegetables, as is usual, and when it is done, take out the meat and the
vegetables from the pot and put them to one side; strain the bones and rest
from the broth and return the pot to
 the fire; >>

This looks suspiciously like documentation for the meat/vegetable mixtures
that we have been looking for as a prelimanary recipe for stew or soups! :-)
But I digress.......

I was wondering what line of thinking caused you to use vegetable broth in the
final redaction? Unless I am reading wrong the original clearly states that it
is the strained combination meat/vegetable broth which is the liquid used for
cooking the cous-cous. Since the use of vegie broth alone would make a drastic
flavor change from the original, I would like to hear your thoughts on this
substitution if possible.

The second question is 'why is the finished dish sprinkled 'heavily' with
cinnamon? I have redacted this recipe before using a dusting of cinnamon and
it seemed to work well. Are there indications in the original language before
translation that might have led to the heavier use of cinnamon? If so , would
it be possible to post the closer translation?

Thank you in advance for clearifying this recipe.

al-Sayyid A'aql ibn Ras al-Zib
"To understand Nature, we must not divorce ourselves from Her but , rather,
become a part of Her."