SC - Salds-responce

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Oct 4 20:50:55 PDT 1998

In a message dated 10/4/98 11:02:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time, stefan at texas.net
writes:

<< Ras, I think this is too broad of a brush to use, although it may
 be true for a minority of salads served today.>>

I used the word 'often' IIRC, not 'usually' or 'always'.

 <<however there appear to be a significantly broader range of greens and
herbs in medieval salads and a significant lack of the modern iceburg lettuce.

I fail to see your point here. I haven't used iceberg lettuce in a salad
either mundanely or at feast in several years. Perhaps others do. Leaf lettuce
is a much better source of lettuce for salads if flavor is what you want.

<<I've found that the vast majority of salads I've been served mundanely
include iceburg lettuce. Modern salads often include tomatos, too.>>

Again I fail to grasp your point. Some period cooking envolves retaining
information. It is a given that both the lettuce and the tomatoes you mention
are not medieval. Potato salad is also out as is coleslaw with a mayo based
dressing. But greens and sald oil, vinegar and herbs are period combinations.
Certainly a person practising period cookery is expected to use common sense
when choosing ingredients.

 <<I'd rather be served some of the medieval salads than most of what I've
gotten today.>>

Which brings up the point of what is your version of a medieval salad?  Other
than leaving out the obvious New World items and adding things like dandelions
greens, beet greens, spinach, chopped fresh herbs, etc. what else would you
use? I think it serves no useful function to point out the exclusion of New
World or modern food plants every time a posting is made about a period dish.
There may be a little confusion because of recent discussions that have
somehow touched on post-period recipes and cooking styles but not enough, IMO,
to cover old ground continuously.

IIRC, a discusion on salads occured not too long ago. I didn't save it because
I rarely serve a salad at period feasts for the specific reason that period
salads rarely occur in menu listings from period sources.

 <<It also may be that Ras eats in higher class resturants than me and the
salads are different.>>

I rarely eat in restaurants at all. I certainly eat salads that are different
from what you have described when I do. And, yes, I do eat in up-scale
restaurants when I do eat out. I see no reason to waste money eating food
prepared by a cook that is less capable than myself so i seek places where the
cook is as good as or better than myself. I had assumed most people did that.
Silly me.

 <<For those interested in some interesting comments and salad recipes given
on this list previously, take a look at this file:  >>

<sigh> You are a hoot Stefan. That's why I like you. :-)

Ras