SC - RE: FAQ

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Mon Oct 5 08:42:19 PDT 1998

>Wolfmother wrote:
>
>"to exchange and redact recipes":  Many beginning cooks have no clue
>what the word "redact" means.  Our intro shouldn't send them running to
>a dictionary. I would like to suggest using "translate/modernize"
>instead.  These terms would be easily recognizable by anyone, even if
>they can't boil water.

And Alys D. replied:
>I don't agree, on several levels.  One, everyone on the list uses the
>word redact, so they had better learn what it means at some point, and
<snip>

I disagree with Alys.  The word 'redact', means "to put into suitable
literary form, revise, edit"; or to draw up or frame as of a legal or
literary document.
This has little or nothing to do with our usage of 'translating/modernizing
& adapting old recipes for our use.'  Even the OED does not support this
usage.
When I first came across the word 'redact' here on this list I was confused
by it. Referring to the dictionary only added to that confusion. I suggest
we stop misusing the word, and use instead 'adapt, modernize, interpret,'
etc.

Just my $.02 worth.

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net