SC - RE: FAQ

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Oct 5 10:24:01 PDT 1998

In a message dated 10/5/98 11:39:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
renfrow at skylands.net writes:

<<  I suggest
 we stop misusing the word, and use instead 'adapt, modernize, interpret,'
 etc.

 Just my $.02 worth.

 Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu >>

Language changes. To use the word redact in the manner we do is not misuse,
IMO. If we stubbornly use it anyway then someday another definition of the
word will appear along side the others in the dictionarys. In looking up the
words you suggest I find the same problems that you object to in the term
'redact'.

Soooo...until a language expert comes up with a specific word for what we do,
wouldn't it be less confusing to continue using the one we do? Many
disciplines have words that mean entirely different things in general use.
Those disciplines are not scrambling to find 'universal' words and , IMO,
neither should we. Our language is not static and Mr. Webster's attempt to
make it so has to all intent and purposes failed. :-)

Ras