SC - Re: hist-brewing: Apple cider

Eylat Poliner allotta at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 5 17:50:30 PDT 1998

Do you know what apples these were from??  The best apple cider is a
blend of sweet, tart and sour apples.   Try red or gold delicious for
30% or must and granny smith for 30% while the rest is more bittersweet
apples.  You can add sugar to sweeten and/or boost alcohol (apple
wine?)  Acid titration should be 0.8%.  Adjust with MALIC acid.
A good wine yeast will give a good cider.  Also, an English Ale yeast
will produce an English style SCRUMPY.

If you only have dessert apples (sweet) they will not produce a good
cider, you need more acidic apples to give complexity.  Sweet apples
will add bouquet and flavor.
Sulfite 50ppm to kill wild yeasts.  After fermentation, you can bottle
condition for a bubbly or have a still cider.  Pectic enzyme can help
clear the pectic haze if you want a brillant, clear cider.

Good luch and send me a sample.
Mark Poliner