SC - Alcohol in Cooking (Long)

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Mon Oct 5 19:16:12 PDT 1998

A friend who is a recovering alcoholic tells us that if he tastes it, he
wants it--enough to throw him off the wagon.  Just as each of us differs
in many ways, I'd expect alcololics to differ in responses, strengths,
vulnerability, etc.  If I know this man will be eating what I cook, I
don't use alcohol in the food, or I find him and warn him not to touch
the xxx.  He has worked too hard and fought too long for me to upset him
in any way.  That's just a matter of common kindness, friends.

If we get into the habit of posting all the ingredients, it might be a
kindness to put a bright red AA by any dish containing alcohol, so that
those who need to beware, can.  Or, those who choose not to use alcohol.
If they haven't told people their problem, they don't have to, they just
avoid that dish or two.

Regards,

Allison
allilyn at juno.com, Barony Marche of the Debatable Lands, Pittsburgh, PA