SC - Apple bread, cookies

WOLFMOMSCA at aol.com WOLFMOMSCA at aol.com
Tue Oct 6 03:39:52 PDT 1998

In a message dated 98-10-05 21:47:15 EDT, Allison wrote:

<< Do you have recipes for apple cookies and apple breads?  This would be a
 good time of year to post them....(smiling hopefully) >>

This one is splendid, from _Celtic Cookery_ by Iris Price Jones.  It has been
suggested by some that this is pretty close to a period fruit cake.

Avallon Cake

1/2 lb apples
6 oz sugar
5 oz butter
grated rind of 1 lemon
2 eggs
8 oz flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp mixed spice (I used pumpkin pie spice from McCormick)
1 tsp cinnamon
4 oz currants, stemmed and cleaned
4 oz raisins, cleaned
4 oz mixed peel, chopped (I hate this stuff, so I used dried orange peel and
sliced     bing cherries)
2 oz walnuts, chopped (Again, personal taste.  Nuts are good.  Nuts _in_
things are not good)

Stew apples w/1 oz of sugar & enough water to cover the bottom of the pan.
When soft, strain & chill.
Cream butter & sugar w/grated rind until light & fluffy.  Beat in eggs one at
a time.  Sift flour w/bicarb & spices, then fold into batter.  Add fruit &
nuts.  Mix well.  Add the apples.  Put into greased 7-in tin & bake at 350 deg
F, 180 deg C, for 1-1 1/2 hours until straw comes out clean.

This makes a golden brown, moist, bread-like cake with great body and
wonderful flavor.

Walk in peace,
Wolfmother