SC - Sealing a Cauldron

Charles McCathieNevile charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au
Wed Oct 7 01:33:35 PDT 1998

I made a cauldron myself from mild steel, and used the porridge method to
seal it - for the first few feasts it needed to have the water constantly
topped up, but now it is perfect.

I recall a long and technical discussion on the OldNorseNet about what
was and wasn't 'wrought iron'. So if it is something that can be welded
at red heat it would e a nice thing to be able to use. My cauldron was in
fact worked cold. Ockham's razor (not always a good historical test)
would suggest that the porridge method would be a lot easier than going
to the extra trouble of working inside a red-hot object, which is
actually wuite difficult. THe first time I made one I bent all the pieces
into shape, and then rivetted it, which was very difficult. The second
time I rivetted the centres together (I did not have bottom pieces), then
bent and rivetted as I went, which made life _MUCH_ simpler.

Charles ragnar