SC - Re: Vivendier (and a quesion on primary sources)

Gaylin Walli g.walli at infoengine.com
Thu Oct 8 14:23:24 PDT 1998

Adamantius wrote:
>Well, maybe. It depends on what you're looking for. If you want a simple,
>readable book of modernly adapted medieval recipes, Scully is not your man. If
>you want to learn more about medieval cookery, after having cooked from the
>former book of adapted recipes, I would recommend Scully.

I think my major goal is to learn more about the cookery aspect
itself, especially from the point of view of health and medical
botany. I am not looking for faux-medieval recipes, nor the kind
that simply say "this is from some guy in 1306" and then provide
only the recipe that was cooked, not the original.

Ann-Marie wrote:
>He's a French language/literature prof, who thinks cookbooks are fun. This
>means he's sorta the big name in translating French cookbooks, though there
>is some discussion (as always) on some of the finer points of translation.

So does he or his wife actually try the recipes? I mean really cook
all of them?

Phlip wrote:
>The big advantage with Scully, IMO, is that he gives the original language
>with his translation, so you can check for yourself if you have a question.

I think this is the biggest thing I'm looking for. My french is
dreadful, medieval french even worse, but I seem to have a knack
for word roots and etymology and can work my way reasonably well
through translations using those skills and a good dictionary. And
while I can't claim to be a great cook or a trained one, I am
able to understand much of the chemistry of cooking.

So here are some other questions in addition to those above....if I'm
going to document a recipe for serving, writing up, producing for A&S,
what-have-you, can I justifiably list Scully's or Renfrow's or Hiatt's or
Cariadoc&Elizabeth's printed originals as primary sources if I lack
access abilities or the funds to purchase originals or facsimile
copies of the originals? If not, why not? If so, what would be the
appropriate reference citation for a bibliography?

Sorry to bug you all...my mouth opened recently at a meeting while
my brain was out of the room and when it came back I found myself
volunteered to cook my first feast. I'd sort of like to do it right.

Thanks so much for everything so far...

Jasmine
Jasmine de Cordoba, Midrealm, g.walli at infoengine.com

"Si enim alicui placet mea devotio, gaudebo; si autem
nulli placet, memet ipsam tamen juvat quod feci."
- -- Hroswith of Gandersheim