SC - OT: Adamantius meets Bullwinkle - was: Modern American Food Trends

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Oct 9 05:42:22 PDT 1998

Decker, Terry D. wrote:

> > /UlfR
> > Who can't really get over the idea of including moose with the exotics.
> >
> The idea of exotic is relative.  In Oklahoma, moose is exotic.  The closest
> consumable one is about 1000 miles away.  In Alaska, if you are subsistence
> hunting, it may be a staple.
>
> Bear

Yes, exotic is, by definition, relative, meaning foreign to the speaker. Ex
meaning out, and all.

Moose are a little easier to come by reasonably close to home for me, but only
just. I recall a time my brother and I were hiking through some Adirondack
forest or other, slashing through the jungle, he with whip, revolver, and
Stetson fedora (well, not really) and me saying, "Pleeeease, senor, no one's
ever come out of there alive!!!" Well, you get the idea. We were after trout,
you see.

We noticed we were on a trail identified as Moose Walk (where, I was assured,
there hadn't been a moose in close to a hundred years), and on Moose Walk we
spotted some odd-looking droppings. Much too big for deer, too big and too
grassy-looking for bear. Looked a bit like fresh horse leavings, but why would
there be a horse so deep in the forest? (Unicorns never even entered my mind,
Ras.) Anyway, there we were, two city kids, having failed to make the
connection between Moose Walk and the possible donor of the spoor. Just as I
was saying, "Hey, these couldn't be moose turds, could they?", a large patch
of darkness detached itself from the predawn shadows about four feet from us,
and began walking away. It stopped and looked over its shoulder at us, once,
and walked away. We waved goodbye to Bullwinkle.

Not the best way to get hold of some moose meat, but a rather magical
experience, nonetheless.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy