SC - meat days and fast days - MIXED?

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Oct 9 09:19:28 PDT 1998

Mary Morman wrote:
> I, too, tend to make a number of vegetarian dishes when serving a feast,
> but I do it with bad conscience.  My impression is that if food was being
> served on a meat day - no attempt would be made to avoid meat, butter,
> milk, and eggs.  If it were being served on a fast day, then EVERYTHING
> would avoid one or more of those ingredients (depending on the degree of
> the fast).  I just can't see period cooks -mixing- their feast day and
> fast day dishes!
>
> Other opinions?

Generally I'm inclined to agree, but then we cater to a different crowd from
our period forebears. There are, I recall, period menus that include fish dish
references for clerics and others who may be fasting or abstaining on a
generally meat-type day. Chiquart speaks of the need to be accomodating to the
guest cooks brought in by His Grace's guests who are on special diets of all
sorts; I believe he mentions abstaining from meat on meat days, for whatever
reason, as one such aberrant diet to be accomodated.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --
Phil & Susan Troy