SC - The High Cost of Feasts/Events

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Oct 10 15:03:05 PDT 1998

In a message dated 10/10/98 1:48:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
TerryD at Health.State.OK.US writes:

<< How many people do you normally feed?  And how many of those make
 reservations?

 Bear >>

Normal non-RP feasts are limited to 125 to 150 on-board. The last few years
on-board space has been sold out usually within a couple of weeks of the
event. Some like the Roc feast were sold out several weeks in advance. Lunch
and breakfasts and Friday night snacks are available to all comers.  With a
$5.oo per head feast cost, I have personally never had a problem coming in
under budget and serving  an average of 10 to 16 dishes at feast. Of course,
one of the secrets is avoiding Purdue and settling for Townsend. :-)

Aiofe has said that our local events are expensive. This is sometimes true but
not always. Sites tend to up the fees each year you rent them in our area.
Abhain Ciach Glas NEVER uses events as a money maker since we have other
options like pour food booth at mundane events, board game and jester hat
sales, chain mail juggling balls , as well as feast basket and other raffles
at the event itself.etc. We also hold an auction and the proceeds go to the
Kingdom Chiurgeons.

Site fees and feast fees represent the ACTUAL cost of the event and do not
reflect any padding of any sort. There are other shires in the area such as
Silver Rhyll who also charge actual costs, SFAIK.

The prizes she speaks of are all DONATED by members and  no moneys from the
shire's coffers have ever been used to purchase any prives or raffle items.
There is also a definite lack of sites in this area which are available for a
complete weekend, free of moderns running about for a reasonable cost.
Thankfully a local pagan family is improving their acerage and opening it up
to outside groups, which will give us at least one alternative site at a
reasonable price.

Ras