SC - Re: Food fights at feasts

S.Albert salbert at ptialaska.net
Sun Oct 11 21:15:51 PDT 1998

>Here in Ansteorra, white grapes are a delicious fruit and a projectile during
>feast. we usually only do this when we eat out doors so the hall isn't
>damaged.
>We even got our king a small siege engine that shot grapes one year at
>pennsic.
>fun, fun, fun.
>
>Meadhbh

We've had a few "polite food fights" up here, but the general rule of thumb
is "real." Of course, there are the Montfort missile rules: nothing that
squishes or stains, nothing that could hurt someone if it hit them in the
eye (lentils being very marginal but acceptable), AND most important you
must help with cleanup!

A favorite missile weapon is small bits of unacceptable bread (yes, we've
been served a lot of ho-hum bread over the years) rolled firmly into a
small ball. Wonderful stuff. Especially for the depth-perception impaired
like me, who need to throw a handful at a time if I have a *chance* of
hitting anything.

Of course, if the event is outdoors, some of these rules can be bent. And
there were the dueling catapults. The princess finally retreated when I
borrowed a household motto (when in doubt, escalate) and loaded the cup
full with M&Ms (her favorite candy) and fired them all at once. I was
declared the winner (*quit wasting them!") and we began cleanup.

Food fights can be fun and just as much a part of the entertainment than
having to sit quietly and listen to really bad singing. Sigh. I have always
been of the personal opinion that down time to chat should be factored in
at a feast, as well as entertainment, and it is the entertainment's job to
catch your attention (based on what I've read of period feasts). But if
everyone else is quiet, I usually give in, regardless of how much fun I'm
having visiting with friends I may only see twice a year....

Morgana
Where an 800-mile roundtrip drive only comes along a few times a year,
thanks to my old clunker, or I'd go visit our Southern neighbors more often.

Morgana yr Oerfa, Baroness      *     Sharron Albert
Winter's Gate/Oertha/West       *     salbert at ptialaska.net
Per saltire gules and sable,    *     Babylon 5/science fiction
in pale two mullets and         *     (astrology/tarot)
in fess an increscent           *     I saw nothing unusual in the teacher's
and a decrescent argent.        *          lounge. --Bart Simpson