SC - Hazardous things in foods-rambling thoughts

Marilyn Traber margali at 99main.com
Sun Oct 11 23:47:37 PDT 1998

> So, to be blunt, what is the whole point of this thread? We have read so far an
> urban legend about one improbable death (improbable because of no name or anyway
> to identity the case), the citation of some one being stupid with their
> allergies while eating a dish that should not have been served at a feast in the
> first place and an isolated first hand account of a case of food poisoning where
> the stricken had much more in common than eating one food all together (E.g.,
> what did they share in common earlier in the day.)  To top it off none of these
> incidents were traced to undercooked chicken or precooked dishes which is what
> we were talking about originally.

I offered a non-heresay case that is not an urban legend. As to its isolation, if
there are other cases, where the person involved is not on the list then we will
never here about it. If there is another case on the list, we may hear about it.
The discussion had moved from the precooked dish/undercooked chicken to other
feast matters involving heresay/urban sca legends.

> Also I might add in passing that getting sick after a feast is not necessarily
> attributable to food poisoning.    To babble on to those around them about their
> 'food poisoning'
> without actual medical testing is not only harmful to the cook's reputation
> but unchivalrous and more than a little dishonorable.

reread my posting. We made a visit to the naval base ER, with food samples. It was
salmonella [ok, I called Tim and had him dig out the kids records and see what it
was.] Anybody who has seen our dog and pony show of schlepping in 2 feast gear
boxes and setting up the table know that I have almost enough feastgear on the
table to be victorian, and I have more than enough serving pieces to use in all
the serving dishes for out little group. Not to mention with the food service and
medical training that various members of the house have been involvedd with, we do
believe in washing our hands before feast.

> Medical testing is a MUST if you are ill after a feast.  The most common type of
> food borne illness is present on anyone's hands at any given moment.  If a
> person at your dining table breaks the bread, it is passed to all at that
> table.  This does not mean it's the cook's fault.  If all are sick at your
> particular table except one (and no one else in the hall is sick), the odds are
> pretty high that that person is the carrier.  Not the cook.
> BTW, Margali, I have quite a list of things that you 'dislike.' It is
> beginning to surpass the lists of 'likes'. :-)
>
> Anyway, sorry for the rambling......
>
> Ras

I admit to a certain prejudice to insects and arachnids as food, but any other
dislikes are as a result of trying it and deciding that I didn't like it. I am
deathly allergic to mushrooms, I have an intolerance for lactose, and a mild
allergic reaction to coconuts. I dislike eggplant, zucchini, squid, octopus,
tripe, tongue, gizzards, goat milk products and meat, peppers other than sweet
bell peppers unless in the form of seasoning. The list of things I will eat of
foods most people won't eat is much longer than most, horse, dog, cui,
rattlesnake, alligator, sea urchins, sashimi, monkey and I have probably even been
served cat and rat in a few hole in the wall places in europe.
I don't think I have any more food dislikes than the average person on the list,
and I know I have fewer than many of the 'normal' people that I have run into in
my non sca life. Hell, I even know about the rat hairs/droppings and bug bits in
processed foods!
margali