SC - Sauerkraut redaction-recipe

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Oct 12 16:07:32 PDT 1998

In a message dated 10/12/98 6:10:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time, allilyn at juno.com
writes:

<< Haven't you just washed out all the flavor?  Wish I had some sauerkraut to
 try.  I'll have to get some fresh cabbage and some coarse salt and try
 making my own for the period redaction attempts.

 Regards, >>

Yes, and no.  I felt that this dish was meant to be more subtle.  Period salt
had all kinds of nastiness in it and a preliminary rinsing would have been
done, IMO.  The cabbage itself without the preserving liquid has a much milder
and subtler flavor.

BTW, I know that a lot of people currently eat their sauerkraut cooked in it's
own juices.  This is not bad but it is another change in very recent history.
Unfortunately this practice has all but dulled the modern taste buds to the
nuances of flavor in rinsed kraut while accounting for the large number of
people who don't like this wonderful food product.

I think that modern manufacture's also put a recommendation to rinse their
kraut on their labels.  Almost all the early recipes that I have for using
kraut call for an initial rinsing.  Many also include apples and/or other
sweeteners to cover the sour taste.  The sour cream in the recipe adds back a
smooth tang that is superb.  Also a rinsing of the kraut falls within the
range of advice given medieval recipes regarding preliminary preparation of
other period foods which have been preserved in a salt solution.

Ras