SC - Brodo of chickpeas

Tue Oct 13 14:16:55 PDT 1998

> I am using this recipe with suitable corrections this weekend at the Siver
> Ryhll feast. I noticed that you also picked up on the obvious mistakes in
> the
> book redacrion such as the fact that the book's author left out the
> rosemary.
> :-)
>
> The question that I have is about the 'flour' used for the thickening .
> IMO,
> the flour meant is chick pea flour which was readily available when the
> original was written. Since the original only mentions the vague term
> 'flower'
> , what are your thoughts on using chickpea flour instead of the Medival
> Kitchen redactor's wheat flour?
>
> Ras

As far as I can tell, the flour shouldn't make any difference.  It seems to
be a thickening agent and you could probably use wheat or rice or chickpea
flour equally as well, since the flour is blended in before cooking.  I used
wheat flour because it was to hand.

The rosemary and the sage do a lovely job of offsetting the cinnamon.  If
you are using fresh herbs and spices, I would recommend a very light hand
and careful taste testing.  Other than the peppercorns and the parsley, mine
were dried or prepared.

I did follow one part of the redactor's instructions, I added the salt
shortly before serving and only enough to brighten the flavor of the soup.

I think the people at your feast will be suitable impressed.  This soup is
rich and lovely.  It's so tasty, I'm adding the recipe to those I cook
mundanely during the winter.  Let me know how they like it.

Bear