SC - Salting proceedure (was pomegranate chicken)

Nick Sasso Njs at mccalla.com
Tue Oct 13 15:16:36 PDT 1998

<<<<........I was always taught
that salt will toughen meat........What do others do?  What do our professional cooks learn is the right way?  Salting first is easier, if you're doing a 'toss it all together' dish. or doing things to prep your meat before cooking--washing off the chicken bits and drying, etc. Regards,
Allison>>>>>

Fair Allison,

My favorite quote on this issue is, "It's not rocket science or anything.....it's only cooking."  I've heard several professional cooks (Legasse,  Rossengarten, Mario Batali....the TV guys and women :o))
speak to the timeless issue of salting before and after the cooking.  There are two schools and they are polarized often.  I'm generally a do it the easy way student:  Salt before and adjust seasoning at critical points.  But, it depends on cooking method and marinade, right into the pan, or roasting, etc.  There are so many other things that affect the tenderness of the meat I cook that salt is relatively low on my list of worries.

niccolo difrancesco