SC - Re: Period Feasts

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Oct 14 18:41:40 PDT 1998

At 11:18 AM -0500 10/14/98, Marty Burke wrote:

>	In my opinion, the first and foremost thing is to make the populace
>eating
>your feast happy.

That is certainly one important desideratum.

>This is not a competition, so if it is not absolutly
>totally period, yet everyone enjoys it, that is more important.

Why do you think of "period" as particularly associated with "competition?"
If making things period is desirable, then it is desirable outside of
competitions, and if it isn't desirable, why have competitions in doing it?

>In all my
>years of experience, especially with a new feastacrat, people will tend not
>to try a dish that is strange to them.

People vary, but in my experience the mere fact that they haven't eaten a
dish before rarely stops people from trying it.

>	Educating the populace to a more period palate is reasonable and
>should be
>encouraged,

What are the special characteristics of a "period palate?" What adjustments
do period recipes require to make modern people enjoy them, in your
experience?

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/