SC - gingered butternut squash soup (Was: Italian Ren Feast)

Wed Oct 14 19:31:26 PDT 1998

> 1. I'm pretty sure C. Moschata is New World.
>
> 2. Isn't bottle gourd Lageneria sicereia (sp?).
>
> David/Cariadoc
> http://www.best.com/~ddfr/

The Langenaria used to be the Old World gourds and the Cucurbita were
primarily New World squashes, so you are probably correct.  There have been
some changes in taxonomy, but I haven't been able to tell if they are
commonly accepted or under debate.  Several sources commented on differences
in taxonomy, but provided little specific information.  The source I was
quoting places C. moschata in Africa, Asia, and both North and South America
and places the bottle gourd in C. moschata.  It appears to be thorough,
authoritative and accurate, however it may represent a particular academic
heresy or I may have misread the information.

I'm interested in determining a chronology for the variants of the species
of Cucurbita, so I will be looking at this further.

Bear