SC - Re: Period Feasts

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Wed Oct 14 22:34:09 PDT 1998

Hi all from Anne-Marie
we are told:
> << In all my
>  years of experience, especially with a new feastacrat, people will tend
not
>  to try a dish that is strange to them.  People do not like to pay to eat
>  something that they are not sure of. >>

I too disagree. In fact, if its boring food, I wont stay for dinner.
Neither will my friends (several whom have the unfortunate combination of
being food snobs as well as food weenies :)). I always try and get the menu
before I shell out for a feast. There's so much good and interesting food
out there...why waste a meal?

Methinks this is one of those philosophical differences. Some of us cook
(and eat) for the adventure, for the enjoyment and the joy of it. Some cook
(and eat) to provide for caloric needs. Me, I think there's so much more
out there, and enjoy the challenge of combining both goals.

I say again that there is no bad medieval food, only bad medieval cooks.
The tongue has not evolved in the mere six hundred years or so. Icky stuff
then was icky stuff now.

You may feel that your local group is not ready for anything other than the
standard white bread American food, but I feel you may be doing them a
disservice. I also grant that this may be one of those places where we must
agree to disagree :)!

- --AM, who's done her share of perioide and modern ethnic meals before she
found out how fun real medieval food can be