SC - Period Feasts/modern tastes

Philippa Alderton phlip at bright.net
Thu Oct 15 09:35:02 PDT 1998

Tyrca writes:

>We go to great lengths to prove the learning and scholarship of the
scribes who hand copied books for most of period.  And yet, without
thinking, we make emotional judgments about their food without even
examining the facts.<

I suspect a major difference between the scrolls and other artifacts is
that if you see a lousy scroll, you can say "Gee, that's a lousy scroll",
and go about your business, whereas if you plop down your money and try to
eat a lousy feast, you feel far more betrayed and disillusioned. Food is
one of the things most dear to most people's hearts, and all of us have a
more intimate connection with our food than we do with our lovers, even the
meat-n-potatoes types- after all, what other activity do we perform that
requires work and creativity to produce, which we take into our bodies,
usually three times per day?

I suspect it's going to take time and effort to develop the tastes and
sensibilities of our "audience" until they can both realize and appreciate
that Medieval food is Good food, when it's done correctly. I know it may
seem an uphill battle at times, but anything worth having is worth working
for.

Phlip
Caer Frig
Barony of the Middle Marches