OT - Magic sword...was: SC - End of the etc.

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Oct 15 11:11:16 PDT 1998

needlwitch at msn.com wrote:

> Actually, I seem to recall a thread recently that had to do with an
> archeological find that consisted of a tablet(IIRC) that had the name
> Arthur(in old English-again IIRC) at the supposed birthplace of the
> legendary King Arthur- thereby supporting the theory that a man named Arthur
> did rule in the appropriate era of English history.

Yes, the name "Arthur", or some variant of it, was found on a tablet (lead?)
in the ruins of Tintagel, if I remember correctly. The trouble is that at the
time that any alleged Arthur allegedly ruled, there was no such thing as
England. There was post-Roman Britannia, various Celtic tribal lands, and
territory held by Saxons, but no England, which is why I said Arthur was not
king of England, whatever else he may have been.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East

P.S.: But he _did_ have a magic sword.
- --