SC - Re: tour in time

SigridPW at aol.com SigridPW at aol.com
Thu Oct 15 22:55:53 PDT 1998

<< >I'm helping on a feast in Dreiburgen, Caid that is exactly that.  First
course
 >is Middle Eastern/ North African.  Second course is Norman/French.  Third
 >course is Scottish.  I'm not planning it, but seems it's done and OK.  Have
 >fun!

 Do you have any reason to believe the recipes are period? So far as I know
 there are no period Scottish cookbooks that have survived, and no period
 North African cookbooks unless you count recipes in Andalusian cookbooks.

I don't know what they have for documentation, and some of the suggested
dishes were rejected out-of-hand (tomatoes, etc.), but what I saw of the menus
doesn't look unreasonable.  I'm certain that the lack of cookbooks and recipes
doesn't mean they didn't cook.  But I suppose it does require a bit of
interpreting.  For instance, we know they raised sheep, and we can be
reasonably confident they used open fires to cook.  So I don't think roast
lamb or mutton would be "wrong" even if we don't have written recipes for it.
If I were planning it,  I wouldn't have a problem following that
interpretation.  But I'm not planning it.  I'm helping with the Norman/French
stuff.

The initial question was in regards to an "around the knowne worlde" or
"travel through time" theme being acceptable.  I was just pointing out that it
seems to be.  And I believe we DO have documantation of that.  :o)

Madeleine