SC - "No Naked Food" Suprise

Fri Oct 16 06:20:49 PDT 1998

> Cool story! I think, though, that while there plenty of recipes that
> suggest
> specific garnishes of fried onions (Hi, Bear!), fried almonds, pomegranite
> kernels, flowers, a dusting of spice powder, etc., many do not. I'd say
> it's
> likely that some foods were garnished, and that many were (gasp!) _NAKED_
> !!!
>
> Adamantius

Doesn't bother me, I like onions.  I do keep remember the face of a friend
to whom onions cause severe gastric distress confronted with a feast where
onions were in every dish and no one told him.  A cook who uses the same
ingredient in every dish simply has no imagination.

But here's a question for you.  What constitutes a garnish and what
constitutes an integral part of the dish?

As an example, let me quote Piers Plowman, "Upon my soul, I haven't a scrap
of bacon, and I haven't a cook to fry you steak and onions."  Are the onions
a garnish or integral to the dish?

Bear