SC - Re: Blood as Good Food

RuddR at aol.com RuddR at aol.com
Sat Oct 17 11:14:32 PDT 1998

Ras quotes me and replies:

<<<< In Forme of Cury I found a pie called "malaches" that had pig's
 blood as its initial ingredient.  I felt that my guests would not appreciate
 this >>

What caused you to feel this way?

<snip>

For me, blood is one of the 'good' foods;
a rarely appreciated ingredient that can , when used appropriately,  make the
difference between blech! and Yummm!. :-)

Oftentimes we as cooks put our own food preferences on the foreburner and ,
being human, we tend to credit everyone with the same aversions. Even I have
been guilty of this on an occasion or two.>>

Good observations and thoughts on the use of blood.  Thanks!  I will certainly
reconsider my feelings towards this ingredient.  My reluctance to use blood
must be social or cultural conditioning, since I personally LOVE liver, which
is mostly blood anyway.  (However, many of my friends and family DESPISE
liver!)

Rudd Rayfield