SC - A Few questions

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Oct 17 16:05:17 PDT 1998

Adamantius commented:

> Stefan li Rous wrote:
> >
> > England still had a lot of Anglo-Saxon influeance then, at least in the
> > southern portion, so perhaps some of the Anglo-Saxon books on food would
> > be worth looking at.
>
> At the risk of displaying my ignorance of all this late-period, Renaissance
> stuff, I'll bite. Normans cross Channel, moving North. Normans fight and win
> Battle of Hastings, and more or less never look back, if one goes by
> historical sources and ignores Urban....I mean, uh, legends. Am I missing
> something here? I was under the impression that places like Yorkshire, in the
> North, were where some Saxon culture survived.

I think we are saying about the same thing, although I could have expanded my
statements more. The original poster was asking about food between the Battle
of Hastings and sometime in the 12th century as I remember. Food tastes and
styles do not change overnight. I feel much of northern English food at this
time was probably more influenced by the Norse rather than the Anglo-Saxon,
that is why I said southern portion. While the Norman influence would have
been there, I suspect at this time, fairly soon after the Normans took over,
the food other than that cooked for the Norman nobility was probably close
to what the Anglo-Saxons had been eating previously. However, I have not
done much reading or research on this yet.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net
(And while 12th century is late period for Admantius, and too early for
some, it is just right for me.  :-). Just wish there were more sources)