SC - I have a problem

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Oct 19 07:53:04 PDT 1998

Groulx, Michelle wrote:

> I have a small problem that MAY benefit all of us to some extent. I
> subscribe to an archeological newsgroup and was directed to a web site that
> I can not access for some federal government restrictive reason?!?!?! I
> don't ask I just nod and work here.  Now, when I say that it may benefit us,
> this means that since I have no idea what's in the article I can't say for
> sure. Could someone else go there and see if its worth reading. If so, could
> someone post me the text privately.

Well, the problem is that it is a radio broadcast, so it's an audio file, in
the Real Player format. Hmmm. I wonder if there's a way to convert it to a WAV
or something like that.

> This is what David had to say...
> NPR's Weekend Edition Saturday had a report from the New York Academy of
> Medicine, which houses one of the most extensive collection of ancient
> recipe books and hosted a lunch based on the writings of "Apeeshus" (i.e.
> Apicius ... requires RealPlayer):
>
> http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/981017.wesat.15.ram

Basically it's a pretty standard news report about the lunch, which seems to
have been cooked, all or in part, by a writer for Gourmet magazine, and which
incuded some dishes from Apicius, possibly La Varenne or maybe La Chappelle
(they just mentioned a 17th-century French book), and some 19th century
English dishes, with theu usual range of responses from the diners, from
moronic up to and including some pretty worldly acknowledgement that our
ancestors knew some things about eating that we might profit to learn. I was
surprised to hear the Gourmet magazine writer who had cooked the Apician
dishes say that the biggest problem he had to overcome was in finding dishes
that avoided the use of unpopular animal parts, drawing out the usual
reference to hummingbirds' tongues from the reporter. (Hence my use of the
word moronic. That and some empirical claims that English food is bland, or
some such, and obviously hasn't changed... .)

The Roman dishes seem to have been a Minutal Matianum, or a sort of fricasee
(Flower and Rosenbaum's word, not mine) of pork shoulder with Matian apples,
and some kind of cold pea salad whose name I didn't catch.

Apart from the useful info that Roman cooking was a lot more like Southeast
Asian cooking than Italian cooking, which is something I have long maintained,
there wasn't all that much in the report one couldn't pick up from looking at
a translation of Apicius.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --