SC - re: Tasting Dinners

Karen tyrca at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 19 09:59:02 PDT 1998

I must disagree with you here Stefan.  Serviing 'special' dishes to the
crown or
ranking nobility in a group is a very period thing to do. I don't
usually cook special
dishes but I might serve the same dish differently to the high table.
For example, a
long time ago I did a perio-oid dish called Basque Chicken. I used
chicken parts for
the dish served to the populace. For the high table I used Rock Cornish
Hens to dress
the dish up for the high table.

Meadhbh

<<<<<<<<

I felt that Lord Stefan was refering more to those times when the
Crown and dignataries were served a special meal and no one else was
invited, not to feasts where we all ate together, and they got special
presentations at the head table.  I have seen several of these
"luncheons" and not known who funded them, or if they were something
privately donated by the presenter, much as Gunther's tasting table
for Master Robin's vigil.

The issue is those special dinners where you have to have some "pull"
to eat, and where public money is spent on rather private
entertainment. (Am I getting this right, Stefan?)  These to me are not
appropriate.  I agree that it is appropriate to fete visiting
dignataries, but I don't think that we need necessarily spend shire or
baronial funds to do this.  When I was a member of the Barony of
Namron, we would pass the hat for donations for gifts to royalty, not
take it out of baronial funds.  This same principle applies to food,
IMHO.

Tyrca

==
Lady Tyrca Ivarsdottir
- -"Honesty is Everything"
AoA, OPN, ASTA, oleander
Barony of Elfsea (Life is Good in Elfsea!)
(all sorts of places in and around Ft. Worth, TX)
Kingdom of Ansteorra