Haggis and lamb tummies was Re: SC - More lamb

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Oct 19 13:47:33 PDT 1998

Karen wrote:

> The point (as far as I can tell) of hanging the tracea out of the pot
> is to
> let gases escape from the lungs and in doing so prevent it from
> exploding.
> That would really be gross!  The receipes that I have found tell you to
> discard it after the cooking is complete..
>
> Alys D.
>
> <<<<<<<<
>
> So your objections are visual, as opposed to taste?  Perhaps there is
> another way to cook them, without the trachea? Have someone else cook
> them for you?  Too bad Ras is so far away when we need him.  Ras,
> honey, want to come down to Ansteorra (Ft. Worth) Barony of Elfsea for
> Laurel's Prize Tourney in November, and cook lung for Alys?
> (grin)
>
> Tyrca

Oddly enough, I can't see how it would explode if the trachea end were
submerged in water, it should just bubble a bit, if that were the case. I'd
read in one or two recipes that bad-tasting impurites would bubble out of the
trachea,and thereby not flavor the cooking water adversely, and thereby the
liver and heart. (I know what all you comedians are thinking, let's just take
that as having been said, okay?)

Apparently when this is done right, you can get quite a nice tasting broth,
which doesn't taste like something you'd get from liver with an orange squeezer...

Also, there are some 18th-century recipes for haggis that warn about
explosions when the haggis is stuffed too full, or if the extra air is not
expelled before sealing. I thought it was intersting in view of this lung discussion.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com