SC - Pumpkins/gourds (and beans)

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Oct 19 17:29:29 PDT 1998

In a message dated 10/19/98 7:55:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ddfr at best.com
writes:

<<  I have also seen white-flowered gourd grown in a Farm Park near
 Cleveland, though I didn't get to taste those. >>

I grew bottle gourds, bird house gourds and snake gourds (Italian Edible) in
my garden this year and used them in period 'pumpkin' recipes. I thought that
the results were particularly tasty. :-) I also served the period version of
the pumpkin soup at Harvest Melee this weekend along with my redaction of the
Brodo of Rad Chickpeas found in the Medieval Kitchen this past weekend. Both
were well recieved with the Brodo getting rave reviews. (Yes, Bearf, I agree
with you that the Brodo recipe is WONDERFUL food! :-))

There ids also a picture in a European manuscript which I unfortunately can't
find right now that shows what are apparently bird house gourds and luffa
gourds which are also edible when young.

On a further note, I grew the Chinese yard long beans (non-New World) to
maturity. I found it rather fascinating that the leaves and beans looked
identical to a picture from a European medival manuscript. A photograph of the
plant was indistinguishable from the plant in the manuscript when place beside
it.  I was little surprised when the the mature seeds were found to look like
small 'kidney' beans. :-)

Ras