SC - Alcohol law in the SCA-personal thoughts

Wed Oct 21 08:08:06 PDT 1998

> That depends on your defination of strange hours.  Many of the BC Liquor
> Contral Board stores (yes, that's what they are called) are open until
> midnight

It must be the Yukon where they were open three days a week for three or
four hours.  Of course, it's been 25+ years since I was there.

>    About the major downside we find with the liquor laws and regs as they
> currently stand, is that our brewers and vinters _cannot_ make beer and
> wine for our feasts.  About once a year, they get together for a tavern
> night.  The site fee pays for the roon and a light meal (stew and a bun).
> All the drinks are free.  This is allowed as it is a private club of
> brewers having a tasting.

This is about how we used to handle it, a private club on a leased site.
When the group wanted to serve beer, we picked up kegs and everyone who
wanted to drink "donated" $3 to the tavern.  Since it was officially 3.2
beer, it is not classed as an "alcoholic beverage" and it was legal at most
of the sites we used.

The state vintning license permits the vintner to provide his products to
his family and friends.  They can not be dispensed commercially.  The
license is not required for alcohol control, but for exemption from taxation
as a very small, non-commercial vintner.

The screwy brewing laws are to regulate microbreweries which have popped up
like mushrooms.  Unfortunately, in the process no provision was made to
cover small batch homebrewers.  No one has challenged the law.  The Oklahoma
Alcoholic Beverage Control Board does not want to rock the boat, so they are
not asking for a change.  On the otherhand, the ABC has not prosecuted
homebrewers.

> Ain't lawmakers weird?
>
> Isobel fitz Gylbert
> Company of Provisioners, Lions Gate, An Tir
> (Cordial maker)

I tend to think of them as ignorant.

Bear
Namron, Ansteorra